The ten incarnations of Lord Vishnu are Matsya, Kurma, Varaha, Narasimha, Vamana, Parasurama, Rama, Balarama, Krishna and Kalki avatarams. Narasimha avatar is well-known and one of the most worshipped avatars among all.
The specific purpose of Narasimha avathara was for protection of his devotee, Prahlada, from his demon father Hiranyakasipa, and to prove a point to make true the words of his devotee that God is in existence every where. Prahlada’s episode proves that God will always come to the rescue of his devotees who prays Him with sincere devotion.
There are many temples in our country dedicated to Lord Narasimha out of which majority are in South India and more so in Andhra Pradesh.
Major temples of Lord Narasimha:
- Ahobilam, Kurnool District
- Yadagirigutta, Nalgonda District
- Mangalagiri, Guntur District
- Simhachalam, Visakhapatnam District
- Dharmapuri, Karimnagar District
- Antarvedi, East Godavari District
- Mattapalli, Nalgonda District
- Kadiri, Anantapur District
- Namakkal, Namakkal District
- Ghatikachala, Sholingar, Vellore District
- Singaperumal Koil, Kancheepuram District
- Parikkal, Villupuram District
- Chinthalavadi, Karur District
- Melukote, Mandya District
- Saligrama, Udupi District
- Mulabagalu, Kolar District
- Puthuruthy, Thrissur District