- One of the 275 padal petra sthalams.
- This temple is more than 1000 years old.
- According to Purana, Soorya worshipped Lord Siva here with sapphire gems. Hence the lord name is Ratneswarar. In Tamil, Ratnam means Sapphire.
- This temple offers pujas to Sun God. During abishek, the lord turns blue.
- Arjuna learned how to use Pasupatha missile from this place.
- This is one of the worship places for Sukra dosa.
- Arunagirinadhar sang Thirupugazh on Murugan of this place.
- Sambandhar sang hymns on Lord Shiva of this place.
- This temple was worshiped by Agasthya, Markandeya and Kamadenu.
- Durvasa Muni cursed Varuni, son of Varunan(Rain God) to have Goat head and elephant body because Varuni disrespected the Muni. Varuni realized his mistake and had his curse cured by worshiping the Shiva of this place. That’s why this place was called Adanay(Adu + Aanai). In Tamil, Adu means Goat and Aanai means Elephant.
- God: Swayambu Linga known as Adi Ratneswarar
- Goddess: Sneha Valli Amman
- Tiruvadanai, Ramanathapuram District
- 24 Kilometers south of Devakottai, Karaikudi
- 6 AM to 12 PM; 4:30 PM to 8:30 PM.